Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Confessions of a Coffee Addict


For this entry, I will not discuss a particular coffee shop. Instead, I will share some coffee-related knowledge.

When I was younger, my mom, an avid coffee-drinker, discouraged me from trying coffee; she warned me that I would become addicted and that there would be "no going back." Not surprisingly, I ignored her advice and began ordering extra-extra (as in: extra cream, extra sugar...extra delicious, extra terrible-for-you) flavored iced coffees at Dunkin' Donuts. Well, Mom, you were right because my creamy, sugary treat has evolved into a darker, less-sweet necessity. So, what exactly makes coffee so addictive?

I did some research, and the obvious answer is that the caffeine is the addicting factor in coffee. However, I was unaware of what caffeine actually does to the body.

The caffeine in coffee acts as a catalyst that increases neuron firing in your brain. This causes your pituitary gland to produce a hormone that jumpstarts adrenalin production.

According to a Natural News article entitled, "The hidden dangers of caffeine: How coffee causes exhaustion, fatigue, and addiction," "By stimulating your adrenal glands to produce adrenalin, caffeine puts your body in this 'fight-or-flight' state, which is useless while you're just sitting at your desk. When this adrenal high wears off later, you feel the drop in terms of fatigue, irritability, headache or confusion."

The upside? Coffee does have some redeeming qualities. Coffee contains antioxidants, can reduce your chances of developing Parkinson's Disease, and can increase alertness.

In short, coffee contains caffeine, a drug that can become addicting. However, when consumed in moderation, coffee poses no serious health risks. My only problem? Define moderation...

For a more extensive list of the pros and cons of coffee consumption, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment